GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker, Clock & Clock Case Repairs
Grandfather Clock Repairs Brisbane, Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen – Brisbane Clockmaker – Vintage & Antique Clock Repairs. Grandfather Clock Repairs –Horologist (Expert Timepiece Repairer & Clockmaker) Collaboration & Clock Case Mastercraftsmen to Repair, Restore, Conserve, Design, & Make Clocks, Grandfather Clocks, Wall Clocks, Mantel Clocks & Regulators.
Clock Repairer Brisbane – to Repair, Restore, and Conserve Clock Cases & Design and Make Bespoke Clocks
Vintage and antique clocks and regulators (grandfather clock or longcase clock, grandmother clock, wall clock, regulator, dial clock, kitchen clock, carriage clock, mantel clock, French mantle clock, pocket watch stands and novelty clock)
Click here for a Clock Repairs Brisbane Brochure
Phone (national): 07 3888 1549
Phone (international): +61 7 3888 1549
The Art and Craftsmanship for Making and Restoring Timepieces – A Gifted Horologist
Clock value, functionality, antiquity and longevity are maximised due to the synergistic collaboration and craftsmanship of horologist and GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen (clock case maker and repairer). The horologist will work on the clockwork, whilst GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen ready the case.
Your case will then be delivered to the horologist so he can expertly fit and test the clockworks in the case prior to notifying you of the completion of the project. You gain from dealing directly with the horologist, with no middlemen or commissions involved. With pickup or delivery arranged by the horologist, you will gain first-hand knowledge and advice regarding the set-up, maintenance and running of the clock.
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen offer a complete custom design service and do reproduction research. They are Approved Service Providers with AAADA and private practice conservators listed with the AICCM for repair, restoration & conservation.
Private clients and collectors commission new clocks and bring us their vintage, antique and heirloom clocks for authentic, traditional repair, restoration and conservation of their valued and valuable timepieces. We are also able to provide parts and undertake micro-engineering tasks.
We can repair, restore, or replace the wall brackets, plinths, glass domes, and even pocket watch stands.
Design and restoration of clocks are done in the traditionally correct, olde school manner.
Conservation, restoration and repair of cases & clocks.
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen have expertise in all aspects of timber, veneer and inlay repair, porcelain, metal, marble and slate restoration and conservation, and can carve and turn missing features. Hinges and knobs can be repaired or replaced, and we retain a stock of authentic antique and vintage glass to replace broken panes.
Traditional hand French polishing is usually recommended in pure shellac, which has proven its worth over centuries. Gilding, hand-painted faux finishes and marbling can all be restored, and our jewellers, micro-engineers, engravers, and gold & silversmiths can work absolute miracles on your treasured piece.
Quotations and Service for your treasured timepiece:
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen and their collaborative horologists ensure both the case and the works are maintained, repaired, restored or conserved to exacting standards. Clock case – GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen provide free estimates for case restoration from photos, or following workshop inspection.
We remove the works for the horologist, so they can repair them whilst we attend to the clock case. You are invited to inspect the case upon completion. Then the clock case is provided to the horologist, and you will pick up the entire clock direct from the horologist.
Clockworks – Our highly qualified and experienced horologist colleagues attend to the clockworks. We can advise you of the most appropriate horologist for your clock and location.
Typically, the horologist will provide the clockwork service, repair or restoration quote after the workshop inspection.
- All clocks are prone to wear and occasional damage. They may get into such a state that they can no longer run freely. Most quotes are free. Accidents and disasters can happen too, so insurance quotations are also possible.
- Years of use may result in the accumulation of grime, dust and dried oil. These are all painstakingly removed, freeing up mechanisms once again.
- Broken or worn parts are repaired, and missing and weakened parts (e.g. springs) are replaced. For valuable antique clocks, parts are repaired rather than replaced with reproduction parts. For parts no longer available, they can be micro-engineered.
- Pendulums, weights, numbers, chains, cat gut, bevelled glass, glass door transfers, ormolu mounts, dials (paper, enamel, porcelain) and hands can be repaired or replaced.
- All clocks are tested and timed following repairs to ensure accurate timekeeping, striking and chiming.
- Advice is provided regarding correct setup, maintenance, running and ongoing servicing for antique longcase clocks (or grandfather clocks), wall clocks, bracket clocks, carriage clocks, French mantle clocks, and of course, regulators.
Famous History of Royalty Clock
Elvin Harvey, of Harvey Bros, Woolloongabba, son of internationally renowned furniture maker, woodcarver and sculptor LJ Harvey, was commissioned by the Queensland Government to make an ornately carved longcase clock as a gift for the 1981 wedding of Prince Charles and Lady Diana. Gary Olsson was honoured to be a fully qualified cabinet maker working on the team, which had Elvin, Gary’s teacher, as a designer and principal master carver. Unlike a multitude of royal gifts, we understand that the clock has been retained – an honour to Queensland.
CALL US TO DISCUSS YOUR REQUIREMENTS: 07 3888 1549
OR EMAIL US: firstname.lastname@example.org
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker and Clock Case Repairs Brisbane Grandfather Clock Repairs Brisbane, Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast
The Most Affordable Clock Repairers In SE Queensland
We bring modern and classical clock repairer services that bring your timepieces to life, whether modern, antique, classical or ancient. Our master craftsmen are fully experienced and skilled in all aspects of horology and are one of the best clock repairers and horologists in Brisbane and Brisbane Northside, Toowoomba, Ipswich, as well as the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast regions.
If your clock is not working or needs some type of repair, you may want to consider finding a clock restoration near me. A variety of people can do clock repairs, so you’ll be able to find one that meets your needs and budget. Some common repairs include fixing broken gears, replacing worn parts, and repairing broken springs. When searching for clock restoration near me on Google, make sure to ask about their experience and qualifications.
Clock Restoration Services Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast
Are you in need of clock restoration services? Perhaps your vintage clock is in need of some repair work? If you happen to be located near the Brisbane, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast areas, then you’re in luck! We are a reputable clock restoration service near you that can help get your clock back up and running like new.
Types Of Clock Restoration Services
Antique Clock Restoration
Mantle clocks are often passed down from one generation to the next. They are often beautiful pieces of antique furniture that can be quite valuable. However, over time, they may need some repair. If you have an antique mantle clock that needs repair, it is best to find a professional who specialises in this type of work. Our reputable clock restoration companies near you that can help you get your clock back in working order.
Wall Clock Repair
If you’ve inherited an old clock or have one that’s seen better days, it may be time for some clock repair. But where do you go for help? Not every town has a clock repair shop anymore, and even if they do, the cost of repairs may be more than the clock is worth.
Grandfather and Grandmother Clock Repair
The sound of a grandfather clock ticking in the background is a soothing and familiar sound to many people. However, what happens when that sound stops? Grandfather and grandmother clock repair is necessary when the clock starts to malfunction. The most common problem with these clocks is that the pendulum becomes stuck, which can be fixed by a professional.
Old Clock Repairs and Servicing
Pendulum clocks are one of the oldest types of clocks, and they still work today. They work by using a swinging pendulum to keep time. If your pendulum clock isn’t working right, it may need a tune-up. You can take your clock to a professional or do it yourself.
The History Of Clock Making, Antique Clocks and Other Useful Information on Grandfather Clocks
Clock repairs have a long and fascinating history, with the first known timekeeping devices dating back to ancient civilizations. These early clocks were often quite basic, consisting of sundials or water clocks that used the movement of water to mark the passage of time.
As time progressed, more advanced clock designs were developed, and the profession of clockmaking emerged. Clockmakers were skilled craftsmen who were responsible for creating and repairing clocks of all types, including pocket watches, wall clocks, and grandfather clocks.
Clock repairs can be quite complex, and expert clockmakers are trained to handle a wide range of tasks. These may include cleaning and oiling the movement, replacing broken or worn parts, and adjusting the clock to ensure it keeps accurate time.
Grandfather clocks are particularly popular and are known for their elaborate design and intricate movement. These clocks are often passed down through generations and can be quite valuable. If you own a grandfather clock, it is important to have it regularly serviced to ensure it stays in good working order.
If you are in need of clock repairs, it is important to seek out an expert timepiece repairer. These professionals have the skills and knowledge necessary to care for your clock and keep it running smoothly and properly.
There are many antique clocks that have been discovered and restored in Australia. These clocks are often quite valuable and can be a beautiful addition to any home. If you have an antique clock that needs repair, it is important to find a skilled clock repairer who is experienced in working with vintage timepieces.
Here are 10 interesting facts about grandfather clocks
- The term “grandfather clock” was popularized by a song written in the late 19th century.
- Grandfather clocks are also known as longcase clocks, tall-case clocks, or floor clocks.
- The first grandfather clocks were made in the 17th century and were typically quite large, standing over 6 feet tall.
- The most famous grandfather clockmaker was Thomas Tompion, who was known as the “father of English clockmaking.”
- Grandfather clocks are known for their intricate movements, which often include multiple weights and chimes.
- Many grandfather clocks have moon phase indicators, which track the phases of the moon.
- The pendulum is an important part of a grandfather clock’s movement and helps to regulate the accuracy of the timekeeping.
- The weights of a grandfather clock are used to power the movement and must be carefully balanced to ensure the clock runs smoothly.
- Grandfather clocks are often made of wood and can be quite ornate, with decorative carvings and inlaid designs.
- Antique grandfather clocks can be quite valuable, with some examples selling for tens of thousands of dollars at auction.
Antique clock repairs can be quite challenging, as these clocks are often quite delicate and may require specialized knowledge and tools to repair. If you have an antique clock that needs repair, it is important to find a skilled clock repairer who is experienced in working with vintage timepieces.
Antique clocks that have been discovered and restored In Australia
Australia has a rich history of clockmaking, with many antique clocks being discovered and restored in the country. Some examples of antique clocks that have been discovered and restored in Australia include the following:
- A rare 18th-century British longcase clock, which was discovered in an antique shop in Sydney and restored by a skilled clockmaker.
- An ornate 19th-century French mantel clock, which was found at a flea market in Melbourne and restored to its former glory.
- A beautiful Art Deco clock was discovered at an estate sale in Perth and carefully restored by a specialist.
- A unique mid-20th century Australian wall clock was found at a garage sale in Adelaide and restored by a knowledgeable clock repairer.
- An antique Victorian brass carriage clock was discovered at an antique fair in Brisbane and brought back to life by a skilled clockmaker.
These are just a few examples of the many antique clocks that have been discovered and restored in Australia. Many of these clocks are now valued collectors’ items and are treasured by their owners. If you have an antique clock that needs repair, it is important to find a skilled clock repairer who is experienced in working with vintage timepieces.
10 Types Of Clocks That Can Be Repaired
There are many different types of clocks that can be repaired by skilled clockmakers and timepiece repairers. Here are 10 examples of clocks that can be repaired:
- Pocket watches: These small, portable clocks are worn in a pocket and are often made of precious metals. They may require repairs to the movement, case, or other parts.
- Wall clocks: These clocks are mounted on a wall and available in various styles and sizes. They may need repairs to the movement, hands, or other parts.
- Grandfather clocks: These tall, freestanding clocks are known for their intricate movements and elaborate design. They may require repairs to the movement, weights, or other parts.
- Mantel clocks: These smaller clocks are designed to sit on a mantel or shelf and are often made of wood or brass. They may need repairs to the movement, hands, or other parts.
- Cuckoo clocks: These charming clocks are known for their distinctive cuckoo sound and are often made in the Black Forest region of Germany. They may need repairs to the movement, cuckoo mechanism, or other parts.
- Wristwatches: These portable clocks are worn on the wrist and are often made of metal or plastic. They may require repairs to the movement, crystal, or other parts.
- Skeleton clocks: These clocks have a transparent case, allowing the movement to be visible. They may need repairs to the movement, hands, or other parts.
- Atmos clocks: These clocks use a small amount of gas to power the movement, allowing them to run for years without winding. They may require repairs to the movement, bellows, or other parts.
- Ship’s clocks: These clocks are designed to be used on ships and are often made of brass. They may need repairs to the movement, hands, or other parts.
- Automaton clocks: These clocks feature animated figures or scenes that move as the clock strikes the hour. They may require repairs to the movement, figures, or other parts.
If you have a clock needing repair, it is important to seek a skilled clockmaker or timepiece repairer who can properly care for your clock and keep it running smoothly.
What are the most common problems with old clocks?
Many potential problems can arise with old clocks, but some of the most common issues include the following:
Worn or broken parts: Over time, the various parts of a clock can become worn or damaged, which can affect the accuracy and functionality of the clock.
Dirty or clogged movement: The movement of a clock can become dirty or clogged with debris, which can cause it to run poorly or stop working altogether.
Incorrect timekeeping: Clocks can drift from their correct time due to a variety of factors, including the wear on the movement or improper adjustment.
Chimes not working: Clocks that chime may experience problems with the chime mechanism, which can cause the chimes to fail to sound or to sound at the wrong times.
Loose or broken hands: The hands of a clock can become loose or break off, affecting the clock’s accuracy and making it difficult to read the time.
Worn or damaged case: The case of a clock can become worn or damaged over time, which can affect the overall appearance of the clock and make it more prone to further damage.
If you have an old clock that is experiencing problems, it is important to have it examined by a skilled clockmaker or timepiece repairer. They will be able to diagnose the issue and recommend the necessary repairs to restore your clock to good working order.
Cost of repair vs buying a new clock in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast
The cost of repairing a clock can vary significantly depending on the type of clock and the extent of the repairs needed. In some cases, the cost of repairing an old or damaged clock may be more than the cost of buying a new one. However, there are many factors to consider when deciding whether to repair or replace a clock.
One factor to consider is the sentimental value of the clock. If the clock has sentimental to you or is a family heirloom, you may be more inclined to have it repaired, even if it is more expensive than buying a new one.
Another factor to consider is the rarity of the clock. If the clock is a rare or collectable piece, it may be worth the extra cost to have it repaired in order to preserve its value.
On the other hand, if the clock is not especially valuable or sentimental, it may make more financial sense to buy a new one rather than spend a lot of money on repairs. In these cases, it is important to weigh the cost of the repairs against the cost of a new clock and decide which option makes the most sense for you.
Ultimately, deciding to repair or replace a clock will depend on your circumstances and priorities. If you are unsure what to do, consulting with a skilled clockmaker or timepiece repairer who can provide guidance and recommendations may be helpful.
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker – The Best Clock restoration Services In Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast
GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker is a respected clock restoration service based in Brisbane, with additional locations on the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. The company is known for its exceptional workmanship and attention to detail and has a reputation as one of the best clock restoration services in the region.
The GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker team comprises skilled and experienced clockmakers dedicated to preserving the beauty and functionality of antique clocks. They offer a wide range of clock restoration services, including cleaning and oiling the movement, replacing broken or worn parts, and adjusting the clock to ensure it keeps accurate time.
In addition to clock restoration, GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker also offers clock repair and maintenance services. They have the expertise and tools to handle a wide range of clock repairs, from simple adjustments to more complex tasks.
If you are in need of clock restoration or repair in the Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, or Gold Coast region, GN Olsson Mastercraftsmen Clockmaker is an excellent choice. With their expertise and attention to detail, they can help you keep your antique clock in top condition for years to come.